Finally, the day has come for Xbox Series X fans. Okay, sure, we got that gameplay event back in May which ultimately ended up in like 90% “in-engine” trailers and didn’t actually have gameplay, but this is the event many were waiting for.
The latest Not E3 2020 event from Microsoft is going to be showcasing all sorts of first party content. With how well Sony was received last month with its own PS5 event, the pressure has seemingly shifted back over to Microsoft in order to deliver. They’ve scooped up a ton of studios so now it’s time to get a peek behind the curtain to see what they’ve been working on.
Here are my Totally Not E3 2020 Predictions for Microsoft. Enjoy!
I Can See Your Halo
Obviously, it’s been well documented that Halo: Infinite is going to be a major component to this event. Frankly, how could it not be? Halo is one of, if not THE, biggest franchise they own and with how quiet 343 has been, you know they’re going to go big. Will we get confirmation of a one shot camera similar to what God of War did? Is Master Chief the only protagonist? Are The Banished coming back?
I’m talking gameplay, trailers, information, and hopefully a release date. Though, I’m also expecting Halo: Infinite to be a launch title for the Xbox Series X so does that mean we’ll be getting…
Xbox Series X Details!
Are we going to get a release date for the console? Will we finally get a price? I’ll be honest, I’m a little doubtful of the price unless Microsoft really wants to make a splash. My gut tells me they’re going to be playing a game of chicken with Sony over the course of the summer, daring them to go first.
If the long rumored Xbox Series S (Lockhart) console is true, then I could see Microsoft not waiting for Sony by announcing a very competitive lower entry price for Lockhart and a reasonable 400-500 price for the more powerful Series X.
All in all, I’m guessing we get a few more details on the console including a release window (if not actual date), but likely no price yet. This is likely going to be mostly about the games, but don’t be surprised if we get a couple nuggets of hardware details.
Of course, Ninja Theory will be on hand to show off more of Hellblade 2. Actual gameplay this time.
I think you can sense a theme since Microsoft was called out pretty hard for their May event. Expect lots of gameplay this time around for most things they show.
Hey, remember that studio that Microsoft opened in Santa Monica, CA? The one that has a ton of industry veterans like Darrell Gallagher (Crystal Dynamics), Drew Murray (Insomniac Games), Sean Slayback (Respawn/EA), Sylvia Chambers (Uncharted 4), Erik Jakobsen (God of War), and a ton more?
Clearly, The Initiative has been hard at work on something and it’s finally time to see what all this assembled talent has created.
Tell Me A Fable
One of the biggest rumors out there is that the long dormant Fable franchise is about to be resurrected. Word is that Playground Games is cranking away at it and I, for one, hope this is absolutely true. I’d love to see what a next gen Fable could look like, especially with fresh ideas from a new development studio at the helm. Microsoft absolutely could benefit from a third person action adventure game, something that Sony and Nintendo excel at.
Plus, it would help diversify their portfolio which is chock full of racing games and shooters.
- I’d imagine we’ll also be seeing a next gen Forza game because it’s been a while and that’s a thing Microsoft typically does on a yearly basis.
- After buying up Double Fine, I’m also expecting some sort of news on Psychonauts 2.
- Hey, Obsidian! Can you show us anything that you’re working on that isn’t that Honey, I Shrunk The Kids survival game? Do you have a AAA RPG in development?
- If I remember correctly, Rare is working on a new game called Everwild? Would be cool to get another taste of that. Depending how far long the game is, we could possibly see a gameplay trailer, though I’d expect something more along the lines of a cinematic/CG video instead.
- I’d also likely expect to hear about other Xbox One games getting free ports to the Series X with new enhancements and other features.
I Hope But Don’t Expect
- Give me a next generation Killer Instinct, you cowards!
- Is there actually another Perfect Dark being worked on? I’d love to see a next gen version of this FPS franchise.
- I’ll always hold out hope for a new Sunset Overdrive but considering Insomniac is now a first party Sony studio and the IP is still with them….I just don’t see it happening. So sad.
Okay, so that’s a solid list. At the end of the day, I just want to see some diversity in their games. Not that there’s anything wrong with first person shooters, but when you look at Sony and Nintendo, they have a huge selection of games. I’d love to see some new experiences on an Xbox platform.
That’s my list, but what’s yours? Leave a comment below and let me know what you’re hoping to see from Microsoft.